Saturday, May 11, 2013

Vegan Banana Nut Muffins

Have you guys checked out Lunchbox Bunch?  It is an awesome vegan food blog that I have been obsessing over.  Although I am not vegan, I love to cook and bake vegan so I don't have to feel guilty about all my food.  Remember my Banana Nut Muffins?  Well, I have been on a sort of crazy healthify-ing kick (yes I know that isn't a word) and I had a bunch of bananas that were getting to the "I need to bake something with these because we can't eat them like this" stage.  I reworked the recipe a bit and made it vegan and really focused on the more healthy grains.  Anyway, they turned out really well and I think I should share the results.



Vegan Banana Nut Muffins

1 cup all-purpose flour (I bet you could substitute a gluten free all purpose mix, but I haven't tried it)
1 cup oat flour (while you could make this by processing oats until they are shaggy, I like the smoothness of store bought)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
pinch nutmeg
2/3 cup chopped walnuts
1 tbsp ground flax seeds
3 tbsp non-dairy milk (I used almond milk)
1/2 cup raw sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 1/3 c mashed ripe bananas
6 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla
walnuts for garnish

In a small bowl, combine the flax seeds and non-dairy milk.  Let sit about half an hour.  This will get a little gelatinous.  It will act as your egg substitute.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Get out your trusty muffin tin line it with cupcake papers.
Mix the flours, baking powder an soda, spices, and nuts in a large bowl.  Mix the soaked flax seed mixture, sugar, syrup, banana, oil, and vanilla in a medium bowl.  Fold the wet ingredients into the dry, until just moistened.  You want the batter to be light, so don't over mix.

Fill the papers about half way.  I used a 1 1/2 inch scoop for a perfect fill. Press some extra walnuts gently into the tops of the muffins and bake between 18 and 21 minutes.  The muffins are done when they have browned a little on the tops and bounce back when you poke them.



Enjoy these guilt free muffins!

No comments:

Post a Comment