Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Avocado Chicken Salad

I don't know how it has been in other places, but here in New Jersey we have been experiencing on and off heat waves this spring.  There is nothing worse, on a hot day, than turning on the stove or, god forbid, the oven.  John and I have been trying to come up with meals that are cool and require the least amount of heat creation to produce.  We love chicken salad, especially my curried chicken salad with grapes (recipe to come), but this week I decided to try something new.  I wanted to make a chicken salad without the mayonnaise.  That is where the avocado came in.  I served this salad on small Boston lettuce leaves, and in pita shells as sandwiches.


 Avocado Chicken Salad

three poached chicken breast pieces, shredded, or the meat from one small grocery store rotisserie chicken to eliminate cooking heat entirely
two ripe avocados
juice of one lime
splash of hot sauce (I use Chulula)
handful of cilantro, minced
one orange bell pepper, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Mash the avocados, add the lime, hot sauce and cilantro.  Mix thoroughly and season to taste.  Add the shredded chicken and bell pepper, mix until the avocado mixture coats the chicken.  Refrigerate about one half hour before serving.

What cool meals do you like to eat in the summer months?

No comments:

Post a Comment