Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Dairy Free Broccoli Stuffed Chicken breast

I have a dirty little secret.  I watch The Biggest Loser.  But I don't think I'm the only one, it has been on air for 14 seasons now.  Don't worry, I'm not going to try to sell you on watching it or anything, I just had to admit it so I could admit the inspiration behind this recipe.  During Season 13 there was a cooking challenge during which Chris (one of the contestants) made a broccoli and cheese stuffed chicken breast with an orange honey glaze.  Sounds good, right?  It wasn't well executed, but the idea was phenomenal, so I made my own version.  I used the creamy base from the Spinach Artichoke Dip I posted about previously to make the creamy filling.

Broccoli Stuffed Chicken Breast with Orange Honey Glaze

3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1and 1/2 pounds)
1 medium broccoli crown
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
juice of 1/2 lemon
2 garlic cloves
3/4 tsp dry mustard
3/4 tsp kosher salt
3/4 cup unsoaked raw cashews
3/4 cup pulpy orange juice
3 tablespoons honey

In a blender, blend the almond milk, lemon, garlic, mustard, salt, and cashews for about 5 minutes until it forms a thick, creamy consistency.  Bring the orange juice to a boil and turn it down to a simmer, stir once in a while until the oj thickens and starts to get syrupy.  Dice the broccoli tops so you have very small florets.  Turn on the oven to 375 degrees.  Fold the cashew mixture into the broccoli.  Using a meat tenderizer or your fist, pound the chicken breast until it is a centimeter thick (put it in a plastic bag so you don't make a huge mess).  Spread the broccoli mixture on one half of the chicken and fold it over.  You might get some of the cashew mixture on the outside, don't worry it will brown and be delicious.  Place the chicken on a broiler pan an place in the oven for 30 minutes or until the center of the chicken is white and cooked through.  Your oj should be syrupy by this point.  Add the honey and stir in.  Let simmer a few more minutes until thoroughly combined.  Drizzle the glaze over your chicken before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment