Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Barley Salad

So this past week, while at my mother's, I made a recipe a friend sent to me.  It is from the book Grain Mains so I don't have permission to share it here, but I wanted to share some pictures and my passion for it.  This salad has black barley, almonds, chickpeas, roasted red peppers, and dates.  It also includes a lovely red wine vinaigrette that really brings all the flavors together.  I especially appreciate its versatility.  You could bring it to a potluck as a side, eat it all by itself for a meal, or do what I did and serve it with a side of roasted beets and crispy beet greens.  It is really high in protein and fiber, so it can give you energy to go for hours, as we did tearing down the paneling in my mother's family room.  I will definitely be purchasing this book for myself and maybe even reviewing a few more recipes here. 

I will be making this salad again for Easter, so you may see some better or more updated photos at that point.

No comments:

Post a Comment