Monday, October 21, 2013

Vegan Apple Cake

About a week ago I saw this pin on pinterest.  It leads to this recipe for what is called apple brownies, but the texture is described more in a cakey way.  Although it doesn't feel like an east coast fall, it has been getting cooler at night here and it does have an autumnal feel in the air.  I love apples this time of year and I felt the challenge that this recipe offers.  I want that apple cake feel, but without all the guilt, so I made it vegan.  Everyone who tried this liked it, so I feel good sharing it here.  I made them in a 9x13 inch pan, but I am going to recommend baking it in a 9x9 inch pan for thicker slices.


 Vegan Apple Cake

1/2 cup coconut oil, in a solid state
3/4 cup sugar
scant cup applesauce
2 tbsp ground flax
5 tbsp water
3 medium apples peeled and sliced thin.  I cut the slices in half to make them bite sized.
1 1/2 cup flour
scant 1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Mix the flax and water well with a fork and put it in the fridge for at least a half hour.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a 9x9 inch pan with aluminum foil.  Cream the oil, flax egg, and sugar together in a large bowl.  Add the applesauce and stir to combine.  Fold in the apples.  In a small bowl mix the flour, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon.  Fold the dry ingredients in to the wet mixture.  It will seem a little dry but the apples let out a lot of moisture while baking, so don't add liquid to the mix.  Spread the mixture into the prepared pan.  Bake the cake for about 35 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.  When skewering, don't be fooled my the moisture in the apples.  Perfectly baked this cake will spring back when you poke it.
What are your favorite fall food traditions?  How do you change them to reduce the guilt?








No comments:

Post a Comment