Wednesday, October 9, 2013

The Great British Bake Off

Hey guys!  So I love British television.  If you know me, you know that.  Unfortunately, not having cable or BBC America that usually means watching on YouTube, Hulu, or waiting for it to come to Netflix.  I found this latest gem on YouTube.

The Great British Bake Off is a reality competition series where people (with all varieties of beautiful accents) compete to be named Britain's best home baker.  This does not mean what I think most of us in the States would think home baker means.  These people have serious skills.  They do every kind of baking from breads, to brioche, to puff pastry.  It is so much fun to watch, and unlike professional competitions, the contestants seem to have a completely friendly and cooperative relationship.  Watching the show over the last few weeks has inspired me to bake more, something John is really appreciating.  After watching the breads episode, I was inspired to make crispy bread sticks.  When I come up with a  recipe I think is worth a post, I will share, but for the meantime, here's my first attempt.

Oh, that picture is not in focus.  Next time I'll do better all around.
What I did do that I feel fairly good about is a checkerboard cake.  I had never made one before, and it didn't turn out perfectly.
This is before I iced the outside and you can see the layers could use some work.  But the inside I was quite proud of.
You can see that the outside is a big mess.  Anyway, if you want to try it, you can find the recipe here:
http://gabo.ninemsn.com.au/recipes/2013/07/09/20/08/checkerboard-cake-recipe
It is actually a recipe they used on The Great Australian Bake Off (I may be obsessed with baking shows).

So I thought I would share this fun I have been having with you.  I hope you enjoy it.
What shows inspire you to try new things?

No comments:

Post a Comment