Saturday, January 5, 2013

Turkey Meatballs

I have always loved meatballs, but their heaviness has often been a point of contention between me and them.  Anyway, I decided to try turkey meatballs, and lo and behold, I am perfectly satisfied.  I decided to cook these in two ways.  Half I simmered in tomato sauce and the other half I oven baked.  Both were delicious in their own way.  The ones I simmered were moist and went deliciously on a sandwich with peppers and onions.  The others I have plans to put in calzones.  They are sturdy and almost caramelized on the bottoms.


 Turkey Meatballs

1 package Jennie-O ground turkey breast
1 package Jennie-O sweet turkey sausage, squeeze the sausage out of the casings into the bowl you are working with
1 medium onion, chopped small
3 cloves of garlic, chopped small
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
1 small handful parsley leaves, chopped
1 egg
1 cup breadcrumbs (I used some herbed buns I made a few days ago, dried the slices out in the oven and ground them until fine)

 In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients. Smoosh them all together (you can use gloves for this part if you can't stand the feel of raw meat).  Form the combination into 1 inch balls. 
For the simmer in sauce method, brown the meatballs, turning to seal all sides.  When all the sides are sealed, pour the sauce over them, bring it to a boil and reduce the heat to a simmer.  simmer about 20 minutes or until the balls are white in the center.

 For the baking method, turn the oven on to 350 degrees.  Place the meatballs on a lightly greased cookie sheet, at least their own width apart and bake for half an hour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment