Friday, October 5, 2012

Shannon's Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread


My first fall of college, Shannon, a friend of mine who would become my roommate shared her family's tradition of chocolate chip pumpkin bread with our house. I was certain that I did not like pumpkin because I did not like pumpkin pie.  Shannon proved me wrong.  Her pumpkin bread was truly inspiring,  and when fall rolled around our sophomore year, we were inspired to make it again but with fresh pumpkin from the local farmers market.

Since then, her tradition has become mine.  Every fall, I find some sugar pumpkins at a farm stand, farmer's market, or as a last resort, grocery store, and make a batch of chocolate chip pumpkin bread. I am so glad that she agreed to share the recipe with me and now she is generously allowing me to share it with all of you.

Shannon's Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread

3 c flour
2 c sugar
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
4 eggs
1 c oil (I use canola)
2 c pumpkin puree (if you want to make it fresh my instructions are here)
chocolate chips (I like 2 cups)
1 c walnuts, optional

Mix all the ingredients, pour into a greased bundt pan  and bake one hour at 325 degrees.

For this batch, I used these cute mini bundt pans my mother-in-law sent me and was happy to be able to easily give some away.  I'm in danger of eating the whole batch in less than a week if I don't pass some on to friends and neighbors.

My friend caught this accidental view of the pumpkin bread when she put her camera on the table.  Pretty awesome, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment