Friday, July 20, 2012

Kale Pizza

 This pizza is a repeat recipe.  I got the idea from this zucchini sundried tomato pesto tart on Closet Cooking.  We both love that tart, but as I can't eat commercially available puff pastry we have to make our own from scratch every time we make it.  It's a lot of work.
My solution was to make it into a pizza.  Any pizza dough recipe will work.  Even a premade dough or pizza crust would work.  I use the recipe in the Joy of Cooking but use half whole wheat flour for a less guilty feeling pizza.

It is a bit more dense, but it rises really well.
 I modified the pesto recipe as well.  I'll write it out for you at the bottom of the post.
The kale is the best part.  I just destem a bunch of kale, rip it into pieces, and put it all on a cookie sheet.  I drizzle it with olive oil and salt and pepper and put it in the oven at 300 degrees, stirring every three minutes until the kale is crispy and delicious.  I could eat it plain, but it is better as a compliment to the sweet sundried tomato pesto (I mean sweet both ways).



Sundried Tomato Pesto
1 cup sundried tomato (not the kind that comes in oil)
1 3/4 cups fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
3 cloves garlic
salt and pepper to taste
Put all ingredients in food processor and process  until they have a pasty consistency.
The pine nuts can be left out if you have an allergy, and Parmesan cheese would be good instead of yeast if you can have cheese.



To put together the pizza, I cook it on a round cookie sheet sprinkled with cornmeal.  I roll the dough and spread the pesto on top.  Cook at 475 degrees, checking every few minutes until the crust is starting to brown but the pesto has not started to burn.  It happens fast, so watch out.  Once I have taken the pizza out of the oven, I add the kale.  It is a great appetizer or main course.
Hope you like this idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment