Thursday, September 27, 2012

Sweet Potato Ginger Soup

I first made this soup with my friend Camille from Glutenfreesoyfreevegan. I pretty much loved it, but I made some modifications to make it my own. It is great on a cold, rainy night and hearty any time of year. I recommend serving it with fresh bread. I used Italian batter bread from Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads.

Sweet Potato Ginger Soup

1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 inches of ginger, minced
2 medium sweet potatoes, in 1/2 inch cubes
1 small acorn squash, in half inch cubes
1 1/2 tbsp of you favorite vegetable bouillon paste
2 bay leaves
4 sprigs rosemary
4 sprigs thyme
Small handful parsley, minced
pinch of cayenne pepper

Cook the onion, garlic, and ginger in a big soup pot in about 2 tbsp of olive oil until soft.  Add the potatoes and squash and cover with hot water.  Stir in bouillon paste and herbs.  Turn to a simmer and allow to cook about 30 minutes until the potatoes are soft. Mash the soup until you have a few chunks for texture, but it is pretty smooth.  Season with salt and pepper, and a dash of cayenne to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment